The Music in Me
July 15th, 2010 by Christina

Last week, I bought myself an iPod Nano. It’s fifth generation and it’s fuschia and it makes me feel kind of hip, pitiful as that is. I guess it’s my equivalent of the red sportscar.

I realize I’m way late to the whole digitized music thing. A few years ago, my daughters gave me a Shuffle for Christmas, mostly because they wanted one. It’s very cute—too cute, really, to be practical, but I hardly ever used it, because while I liked music and felt I could distinguish good from bad, I was never into music the way some people are. I was into books.

So it’s particularly significant that I took it upon myself to upgrade to a model that can support my growing iTunes library.

During my marriage, R was the music lover, the one who thought to put on a CD when it wouldn’t have occurred to me. He was mostly into classical and opera (I know: opera buff and good taste in jewelry. Many have wondered, believe me.) When he left, he took 90 percent of our CDs, leaving me four dusty shelves strewn with a motley assortment that included works by Billy Joel, AC/DC, and Raffi.

It was the new periods of alone time that initially led me to rediscover the comfort and joy of song. My sparse collection, along with a handful of mix CDs made by a friend, provided a surprisingly sympathetic soundtrack for my wallowing, my fury, and my new enjoyment of dancing around the living room.

And then I met S, who turned out to be Savant-like about every kind of music imaginable, with tastes that ranged from Dvorak to Zappa. (The fact that my sorry CD shelves were not a dealbreaker, in fact, is testament to his fine character.) He wooed me with songs sent via email, and each one miraculously found its way into my iTunes library, which, until then, only contained a few downloaded episodes of Mad Men. S’s appreciation for great lyrics allowed me to overlook his rather limited experience with great literature. (Try to resist a guy who sends you Greg Brown’s sexy song Milk of the Moon. ) Soon, my iTunes cup ranneth over with all kinds of interesting music and artists I’d never heard of (Jess Klein, Rachael Yamagata, Oliver Mtukudzi).

And that’s when I decided I needed a Nano–which has opened up a whole other wonderful sonic world to me: Podcasts! Don’t even get me started on how much I love podcasts.

Karen Capucilli writes:
July 15th, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Christina,

First, let me tell you how much I love your blog. Your writing is wonderful. I started reading a couple of months ago and look forward to all of your new posts. I am sorry it took me so long to comment.

When you mentioned podcasts i just HAD to laugh. Because I love them also. A LOT.

Podcasts have revolutionized the grunt work associated with raising kids and running a household. I do not listen while I am “present” with my kids – helping with homework, taking them to the park etc. However, I DO listen while I am doing boring things like the laundry, dishes cleaning, etc etc. Now I actually look forward to these things, in a weird way.

Again, I love the blog, and I find a lot to relate to. Even though my particular adversity and challenges have been of a different nature, your writing has a great deal of resonance for me.

Karen Capucilli

Christina writes:
July 15th, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Thank you so much, Karen! It’s great to hear from you. I’m new to podcasts, but so far I’m addicted to This American Life and The Moth. How about you? I agree–drudgery is vastly less drudgeful when you’ve got the company of a good podcast.

Christina

wm writes:
July 16th, 2010 at 6:50 am

Podcasts, and audio books! You can check them out at the library, copy them onto your computer and load onto your ipod. These make up much of the reading I’m able to do these days.

David K writes:
July 16th, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Christina,
All so true and funny as usual. dancing while the cats are asleep. Recently received an iPad as a thank you gift from a client. :-) Browsing around the FREE APPS I found Pandora. It’s wonderful because you list all your favorite singers or groups then tag one and it becomes Say Beatles Radio (yea I’m THAT old) AND picks old and new singers/groups that sound like or are in the same style…. as the group you selected. Soooo that way I’ve found out about new singers… that I never would have had time to hunt down. And being the provider of music here it takes a real burden off me for coming up with current music. Only problem is my son found this app and started putting HIS groups on the list and turns out there is a 100 group limit. I’ve yet been able to figure out how to delete the Jonas Brothers, Lady Gaga, Heavy Metal Hits …. Best

Karen Capucilli writes:
July 16th, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I love both of the podcasts you listen to. I also listen to one called Manic Mommies, which is pretty silly sometimes, but funny, entertaining and relevant to me. One of my kids has mild special needs, so believe it or not there are podcasts for this sort of thing. I also like things about health topics and fitness, which actually helped with the 30 pound weight loss I achieved recently.

One of the things I have discovered is that no matter what your interests, there are podcasts about it.

I was actually thinking that your blog would lend itself nicely to podcasting. I am not suggesting that you have copious free time to burn (!!!!!) but I was thinking that. And some podcasts are really short (unlike TAL and moth) – some as little as two minutes each. food for thought!

Karen Capucilli

Christina writes:
July 17th, 2010 at 6:30 pm

OMG==me, a podcaster??? What a thrilling concept. How does one get an agent for this sort of thing?

jeremy Shatan writes:
July 18th, 2010 at 5:37 am

If you want to impress your new guy, start listening to All Songs Considered and KEXP’s Music That Matters podcasts without telling him. After a few episodes, you can drop some band names into your conversation (“Have you heard that new song by the Walkmen?”) and let the fun begin. Cheers and happy listening!