Bend It Like Bikram
January 13th, 2010 by Christina

Right after we separated, people were all over me with optimism and advice. This was an opportunity! A chance to turn misfortune into something positive! A new lease on life! A gift! R himself assured me that I was going to thrive once he left.

I can’t tell you how many times people suggested that I take a class, get re-acquainted with a long-forgotten hobby, find a new hobby, learn a language, or do volunteer work with people who were really suffering so as to get perspective (actually, that one was my idea). What I can tell you is how many copies of The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle, were handed to me in those first few months: Three.

I have not yet read the book (and I doubt I will ever read all three copies, since I assume they say pretty much the same thing) nor have I taken a class or found a hobby or done volunteer work or even started composting. I’m not proud of my inertia in these areas. Instead of becoming all life-transforming and hobby-oriented, I was in a daze there for a while, focusing on little achievements like trying to cry every other day instead of every single day. And there were several hobbies I had to take up against my will, like mouse-icide, coping with my car’s mental illness, and online dating.

Then, a few months ago, my friend across the street tried to sell me on Bikram yoga–the one where you spend 90 minutes locked in a 105-degree room. She insisted that it would change my life, which got me vaguely interested. When she promised it would change my body too, turning me into a toned, lithe, uber-babe, I got onboard.

The first class was hell, mostly because I was terrified. People warned me that I would feel nauseous, dizzy and faint, but that it was worth it. So, even though I am not prone to any of those things, I spent the entire class fearing I was going to experience some kind of catastrophic physical event.

In fact, the only dramatic thing that happened was that I saw my shins sweat for the first time ever; it was miserably hot and humid in that room (think about it–have you ever seen your shins sweat?) Oh, and when I got home, I fell asleep for two hours.

Two days ago, I took my fourth class and I can see how it might become addictive. I’m not sure that Bikram will change my life, but I’ve started to groove on seeing those toxins spilling from my shins.

Karen Bannan from NaturalAsPossibleMom writes:
January 14th, 2010 at 9:53 am

Oh, Christina! I am a yoga-addict, you know that! I am so happy for you! Namaste, my yogini friend! Just wait until your body starts craving it! Or when, as you’re complaining and being nasty to a family member, they tell you to please go to a yoga class. Because you need one. Yay, yay, yay for you!!!

–KB

Sydney writes:
January 15th, 2010 at 1:24 pm

HOT YOGA – yes, I have seen the shin sweat of which you speak……even toes do a little! I went to 5 yoga classes before I fractured my ankle :( Something very therapeutic about all that sweat coming out of you….Trying new things is what is keeps life interesting. When I get my cast off, want to come snowboarding w/ me? (It is what I tried in my apocalyptic divorce stage of trying the new…)

Jennifer Fink writes:
January 17th, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I’m glad your enjoying the class. As someone still relatively new to the whole separated/divorced world, I’m finding all the “now’s your chance to find yourself!” advice a little overwhelming, just one more expectation when I’m already trying to keep my head above water. I can see how finding or rediscovering a new hobby would be great. I just can’t see how I can do that while also trying to keep a roof over our heads and my kids’ emotional health intact.

angeloubouvier writes:
January 19th, 2010 at 2:38 pm

interesting site but I had a question with my comment.
I am going through a divorce but there are no children involved just primal bitter emotions and property.
I have not been following the blog but will go back to the start at some point soon.
Marriage can be hell and divorce worse or couplehood wonderful and then its over; there lies the difference.
I read the last 3 or 4 posts and it seems that you’re changing your opinion re: men or I’ve missed something.
Letterman and Tiger Woods surprised some of us but really, Seinfeld and Conan don’t cheat and neither did Walter Cronkite or Art Linkletter, thats a fact and several big time hollywood types leave a marriage because they have wives that are bipolar or alcoholic. (Patty Duke and John Astin, James Cameron and Linda Hamilton to name a few)
In my case, things just got stale; no drama, just montonony.
Marriage involves attorneys and this is disgusting and yes,girls; there are nasty female attorneys out there too.
My question; do you really think all men are not cut out for monogomy; if so how about women?
As a feminist, I need to be true to my own truth.
I’m just curious as to yours.

Christina writes:
January 19th, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I think lifelong monogamy is hard for anyone–male or female. I think powerful men probably have a harder time than most resisting other women, just because the opportunity must present itself more than it does for the average person. Same with actors and actresses.

Ricki writes:
January 25th, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Yay! I’m finally not the “freaky, spiritual, weirdo neighbor who dresses up for Halloween and other woo-woo whimsies”!!! I’m soooooooo happy!

I liked that line about the hobbies you had to do that you didn’t want to do. Hopefully those are done and over!

Living in Splitsville » Blog Archive » Farewell to Freelance writes: